Saturday 25 January 2014

A post miles from home, and I don't get homesickness!! (yet?)

First post since I arrived in Aussie I guess?

I finished my first semester here on November, but I'm not going home this summer. I'm taking summer courses for my minor and guess what, I'M TAKING JAPANESE. I'M FINALLY BE ABLE TO LEARN JAPANESE. YIIPPEE-DEE-DOO~~ I took two intense Japanese classes. Yep, intense. only one month class each. For the first one I literally had to come to uni everyday from 9-12. For a month. For my second class now, I have class 3 day each week, from 10-3. Yep. INTENSE. But it's pretty fun as I expected. Learning new language always fun, don't you think? Though, I admit practicing new language at this age is kinda...difficult. It's hard shaping your mouth to get the right sound and accent like a native japanese or any other language. Well then there goes 'practice makes perfect' quote haha (if you DO practice..).

I actually had wrote several post before this but not finished and all go to drafts instead. There is one titled "Away, Away From Home" and this is what I wrote:

"The title's a bit sad, dont you think?

No it's not.

Well, just a little bit.

Sort of.

Pretty much.

Sad.

But no, seriously, I mean, well, being away from home is, of course, a challenge. But then, it allows you to explore new things, rite?

I've been in Brisbane (finally) for about three weeks. Weather's nice, compare to Indonesia (read: it's cold I'm literally shivering right now. I even had trouble sleeping at the first night unable to find the best stance to keep myself warm). Sorry for exaggerating but I'm really freezing. I think it's just me. My friends are fine. Already a native, they say. And obviously my friend here were like 'Really?!' when I say 'It's cold.'

I like it here, for many reasons.

Transportation. Do you know how annoying Jakarta's traffic is? And do you know how grateful I am, found that here's no traffic btch! It's so easy to get every where you want. They have (nice) trains, (nice) citycat and (nice) buses. I usually taking bus to campus and it's only 10 minutes. Same thing if I go to city by train. Everyone have this card called 'Go Card' and you can use it for all trains, bus and city cat (ferry). My life has never been this peaceful, going home without
Indonesian may call me 'gak punya nasionalisme lo' Whatever people I'm telling the truth I'm admiring this city."

Yeah, let say I admired this city ever since I arrived here. I mean, I like simpler things, and Brisbane is quite small. Everything is within reach. You get everywhere easy and at speed. Not many people, well mostly students I think 'cause there's a uni here.

But then, wth everything close at 5?! Yeah, I still dont get that now. All stores close at 5. Well most of them, except for several restaurants. But malls, even at the city, all close at 5. Should I say it again? All close at 5. And now I'm finally having my summer break and not going home, I stuck here with...nothing to do. Well it's actually less than these 6 months that I realized Brisbane actually has nothing. I mean like, if you wanna go have fun, you should go outside Brisbane, which I have done during my semester break. Well, I believe there are things that still can be explored from Brisbane. My summer break here will not be wasted! Moreover, I pretty much like this city :)

Another draft was written in my 2nd day at Bne and was titled 'Bne Day 2.' In fact, it's a very...very...short draft..:

"why Bne day 2? Because it's my second day in Brisbane, yeay Alhamdulillah :)

So I finally moved here, hehehe. I left Jakarta at July 12 and arrived here at July 13, morning. It was a less tears farewell than I expected. I'm a very, you can say it, very sentimental, emotional person. So the thought of leaving my family and friends, saying goodbye at the airport, I would cry a lot. Or that was actually what happened for several days before 'the day.'"

And that's it -_- I probably wanted to talk how's the airport scene going. The fact that I did not even have a tear came out. Before, I laughed, I chatted with this one so-called my best friend, I talked to my parents without worries, without having a thought not going to see them for one year. If I may recall, there probably almost no sad feeling at all. We even took photos with the brightest smiles. I saw others cried. But I was okay. Until my sister took out teddy bear from her bag and gave it to me, right before boarding time. I purposely did not bring anything that would remind me of home. Not photos, not decorations, paintings, or anything, nothing. But there she was, giving me one :) then I bursted into tears. See you when I see you :)

The title of this post though, said that I have not suffered from homesickness, yet maybe haha who knows. Yes there were absolutely times where I miss my family but not so bad that I cannot wait to go home. Back to Indonesia would be good, but staying here is fine too and I choose to stay here. My mom said "Ngapain pulang kan baru juga 5 bulan." Well, she got a point. I'm taking summer courses too here so staying here does not sound so bad :)

I cant wait to get my summer course done, then I'll be wandering around Brisbane by myself. See what I can do. Sounds pretty exciting, eh? ;)

No comments: